What is Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS)?
Muscle stimulation can be used for various health benefits. In today’s world of pain control and rehabilitation, it is easy to get lost in finding out about the different types of treatments and products that are available and what will fit your situation.
The Effects of Electrical Muscle Stimulation on the Body, Muscle Strength and Physical Appearance
EMS stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation. EMS is predominately used by doctors and physical therapists to prevent, or reduce, muscle atrophy. Atrophy is the weakening and loss of muscle tone, which is usually experiences of an injuries or after surgeries. EMS has proven to be an effective way to prevent muscle atrophy. Doctors of Chiropractic also see EMS as a way of increasing blood flow to muscles, increasing range of motion, increasing muscle strength, as well as enhancing muscle endurance. Our muscle stimulator will have pain management attributes in regards to muscle related pain, such as spastic, sore or tight muscles.
During an exercise, your brain sends a message down the spinal cord through the nerves with all the muscles you’re using that causes them to relax and contract. This is done by sending electrical current through self adhesive electrodes places over the muscle. The current passes through your skin to the nerves in that area, causing the muscle to expand and contract.
The Benefits of Muscle Stimulation
- It gets your muscles (and also you) moving again. This helps to reduce the stiffness in your muscles.
- It makes you stronger. Muscles that you can’t use shrink and become weak, making rehabilitation more difficult. Stronger muscles are important in you getting going again.
- Over the course of a few weeks you’ll notice better movement in your limbs often both passive and active.
- Your brain is stimulated when your muscles move with information that arrives via your nerves. This information arriving stimulated your brain to bypass the damaged area and improve what you can do.
- You often have less pain from your muscles as they are relaxed and you have fewer muscle spasms.
- Shoulder pain can be reduces with regular use. The muscles around your shoulder are strengthened and your arm droops less, which often reduces your discomfort.
- Better blood flow to yr arm and leg improves your skin function and reduces local swelling.
Minnesota chiropractic can offer you excellent care and design a personalized treatment plan. There is no limit to what you can achieve through chiropractic treatments.